Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Starting school again

My crew from Mexico, from left to right; Me (USA),
Timote (France),  Felix (Holland), Angelica (Sweden),  Yazbek (Mexico), Calvin (USA)

Well I am back from Mexico and starting up school again for the Summer semester.  I am really excited to be starting here again.  Mexico was fun but it was kind of brain dulling.  I mean learning a new language is hard but it is a different kind of hard.  Everything is still on the surface cause things are still so new.  Like your struggling to learn new words and communicate but it is still just "Hi how are you?"  Back here at school we get to explore deep concepts and ideas that are really thought provoking.  So I am excited to be back!

Rebecca and I hiking up the Y

My line up for school is pretty interesting.  I have a PR class and a gender class.  My PR class is a mix between PR/Organizational com.  This is my first PR class and so far I really like it.  I never thought that I would like PR.  For some reason the subject matter never appealed to me.  But this textbook we are using is really interesting.  It talks about how PR can be strategic which is really appealing to me.  My other class is a gender communication class.  It is really interesting.  My teacher is really passionate about the subject and very bias toward certain subjects.  But it is the kinda bias that is now hidden or subtle.  The class is suppose to explore the differences in communication between males and females; however, everyone in this subject matter is pro feminist and LGBT.  So you do have to deal a lot with all that.  The opening pages in the textbook setup the difference between sex, gender, and sexual orientation.  I never thought to separate them that way before but it makes lots of since and definitely explains some people's insanity.

I also just got back from celebrating my grandparents (Gowers) 50th wedding anniversary in St. George Utah.  50 years is quite an accomplishment.  Definitely makes you think and wonder what you'll be like in that amount of time.  What will be important to you?  What won't?

Well that is it for now.  I hope to get better at posting in this.  I started a new project Commpedia which is my first wiki.  But it might be kinda boring to you who don't have an interest in communications.

1 comment:

  1. I said it before and I'll say it again: I think you would kick butt at PR. The more I think about it, the more I think you would be really good at it. You're personable, you are enthusiastic, and you are good at defending things that you feel strongly about.

    ReplyDelete